Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Toning Up Tuesday: Arms

Even before I had surgery and this hole in my neck (it's healing great for anyone that cares) my workout ALWAYS lacked arm exercises  I don't even like my arms but I have a fear of them bulking up too much (I know, how can that happen if I don't even lift or anything?) so when I do remember to incorporate them into my routine, this is what I do:

Overhead Press: To work your shoulders and arms I like the overhead press. Take 2 weights (not too heavy but not too light, I use 5-8 pounders) and hold them palms out and shoulders bent at a 90 degree angle, so that the weights are essentially at ear level. Then push up with straight arms overhead almost touching the weights together and come back to the 90 degree angle. Repeat 10 times.

[Source]
I'm unsure of what this next one is called but I use it to tone my inner arms (I don't even know if that makes sense). Once again start with the weights palm out and elbows bent at a 90 degree angle. Then instead of pushing up, pull arms together in front of the body, keeping elbows at that 90 degree angle. Come back to starting position. Repeat for 10 reps. 

[Source]

I also like to do regular bicep curls. Hold arms down by your side, slight bend in elbow with palms facing out. Bend elbows without moving your upper arms and curl the weights towards shoulders. Lower weights back to starting position. Repeat for 10 reps. Another option is to alternate arms, lift right and lower then lift left and lower (that counts as 1 rep).

[Source]
Lastly, I like to use the stability ball to do chest presses. Lie down on the ball with only your upper back on the ball and hold your pelvis up, so you're body is lying flat. Hold weights and bend elbows at a 90 degree angle. Then same as the overhead press, push up almost letting the weights touch. Return to original position. Repeat 10 times.

[Source]

What are your favorite arm exercises? What did you think of this post? Let me know!

Xo,
Lynette

4 comments:

  1. Hey Lynnette, I just wanted to let you know that I nominated you for the Liebster award. It’s a cool way to connect with other bloggers. Check it out here: http://freeingimperfections.com/liebster-award/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love working out my arms!! I also love that feeling when you arms are super sore from working out so much.. It's actually been a really long time since I've had that, I should probably get on it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also love that super sore feeling lol I don't know why I hate doing arms. I get more into it when it gets closer to summer!

      Delete