Sunday, January 6, 2013

My All Time Favorite Superfood

If I could pick one food to have a never ending supply of it would be bags and bags of baby spinach. Mind you, this is one of the foods I absolutely HATED until I was about 22. I'm glad I've grown to love it because I put it on just about anything I can. Spinach has so many benefits such as vitamins B, C and E, iron, calcium, magnesium and omega-3 fatty acids (source). That is a significantly longer list than one can say for iceberg or romaine lettuce.

However, many of my friends have stated how much they hate spinach and they can't eat it plain or they don't know what else to do with it. Below are some of my favorite ways to incorporate spinach into my meals (and sometimes drinks!).

Salads: If you are just starting to eat spinach I recommend mixing in some romaine lettuce. My favorite add-ins include chick peas, kidney beans, mushrooms, chicken, tuna, croutons, and sometimes pasta. For the record, I don't put all of that in at the same time. Dressing is usually something light and oil based, not creamy. 

[Side salad]
Pasta: Sometimes when I do pasta with vegetables I add a handful of spinach in. It makes me feel like my meal is healthier! The other ingredients I usually put in are broccoli, chick peas, regular green peas, mushrooms, chicken or baby corn. 

[In a pasta dish]
Sandwiches: Rather than lettuce and tomato I do spinach and tomato. Also great for wraps. Yummy and healthy!

[Chicken quesadillas]
Breakfast: Eggs are a must almost every morning for me. I do try and switch it up with omelettes, quesadillas, scrambles and sandwiches. Toss in a handful of spinach to each to get your greens bright and early. I usually rip the leaves apart so they are more bite size. I'm not a big fan of peppers with breakfast (except in potatoes) so spinach is my substitute. 

[A breakfast quesadilla]
Smoothies: I know this sounds so gross but it's really not as long as you balance the drink out with other items. My favorite mix includes spinach. peanut butter, a banana, some chocolate syrup or powder, vanilla yogurt and ice. One of my friends adds a little honey to hers. Yes, it's going to be green but I promise it doesn't taste "green."

[Source]
How do you use spinach? Favorite recipe?

Xo,
Lynette

13 comments:

  1. Love it! Spinach smoothies are one of my regular's. I also puree spinach for my Dog's food. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I make them every so often on the weekends, not enough time when I'm running out of the door at 6 AM!

      Delete
  2. Just like you, I only recently started to like spinach, and now I eat it with dinner almost every night. After reading up about the health benefits provided by dark leafy greens like spinach compared to regular lettuce, I instantly realized that buying spinach to use as a green in salads and other dishes would be much better for my health. My favorite way to eat it is sautéed with some garlic powder. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum, I've never tried it like that and I love garlic powder/salt. I'll have to try it soon :)

      Delete
  3. When I was a kid, I just always thought spinach was a horrible mass of shredded goo that came into cans. However, once I discovered it in leaf form, I loved it! What can I say? My family wasn't too into eating their veggies when I was little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is crazy. Growing up that is the only way I ever saw spinach too. To this day cooked spinach repulses me. It wasn't until I discovered raw spinach that I gained respect for the green. I love to use raw spinach instead of iceberg lettuce (which is mostly water) for sandwiches and as part of a mix for salads.

      Delete
    2. When I was younger I also always thought spinach was only cooked. Little did I know!

      Delete
  4. Lynette,

    I also love spinach it is so healthy and can be eaten at any meal. I love all of your ideas, except many the spinach smoothie, don't know about that one.

    Great job,
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seriously do eat it with every meal! Haha try it one day, it might surprise you. Thanks!

      Delete
  5. You're right! Spinach is a great superfood.

    But my all-time favourite is still dark chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love spinach! Scrambled eggs, spinach and feta cheese with a dusting of black pepper! Delicious ;-)

    ReplyDelete