Sunday, October 14, 2012

Rockin' and Rollin' Through Prospect Park


Yesterday I ran my second 10K, my first only being 3 week ago. And am proud to say that through the coldness I beat my time by about 45 seconds (not much but still faster!) with a time of 1:01:52. And I kept my pace just under 10 minutes at 9:58 (according to the results). I chose last minute to do the Rock ‘n Roll Marathon Series since I wasn't sure if I was going to make it through RUN10FEED10, but I did and I’m pretty glad I made the decision to go. Although there were things I liked and disliked, overall it was a great EARLY morning in Brooklyn.

[Race day outfit. Pretty snazzy for 4:45 AM] 
The two major things I was not happy with were the parking and lack of how far you could hear music on the course. All the parking garages were full and I had to pull some pretty illegal moves to find a place to park and make it to my corral on time. I also assumed there would be speakers so I could hear music a little further than the 2 seconds it took to run past the music.

[The starting line. It was early and dark and I own a Blackberry. Need I say more?]
I loved the course. Prospect Park is a beautiful place and am sad I only discovered it today. The first mile had to be the quickest. For some reason I thought it was a great idea to sprint it. Let the record show, it was not a good idea. The 2nd and 3rd miles were fast and flat on the outside of the park which had many spectators cheering on the runners.

[A pretty pond in the park]
Then came the 4th mile, where I started to slow down. We went through the park where the sun was beating down, making being in long spandex and long sleeved shirt practically unbearable. But of course I sucked it up.

[Thank god I took this picture and looked at it because I almost for got to put the tag on my shoe]
The start of the 5th mile repeated the beginning part of the course. Which I must have forgotten included a HUGE hill. Second time around? Not as ambitious as that first mile. I swear I was going so slow I could have been walking, but I didn’t and pushed through and eventually it turned into a downhill.

[Race village before the start]
The last 1.2 miles were a piece of cake. It was quick and mainly flat/downhill. And when I saw that finish line you can bet I sprinted to it! 

[6.2 done and still lookin' pretty cute!]
The race village was filled with goodies and sponsors. Although, with it being practically 40 degrees a cold beer and ice cream would not have been my first choice of things to serve. Coffee or hot chocolate anyone? All finishers also received a beautiful medal specifically designed for the New York race. Overall I would recommend this race. It was the perfect location and provided great entertainment. 


  
        
        [Candy Sponsor]
        
                 [Post race in the beer garden listening to the band]
          

[Another sponsor. Can't wait to use the samples.]
[A little brunch treat]

Xo,
Lynette

          

9 comments:

  1. Congrats on beating your previous time!!! Sounds like a great race, I really want to run it next year (it was the day before my half-marathon this year sadly).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I had a lot of fun. Hope your half went well. I'm thinking I might do the Tinkerbell Half in 2014!

      Delete
    2. Those themed halfs look like SO much fun. I want to do one of the Disney ones someday!

      Delete
  2. Years ago I worked a 10K here in Miami. It was one of our rare 40 degree Sunday mornings in which I found it hard to leave my bed. But in typical Florida fashion it warmed up to close to 70 degrees and I had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great race and a fun place to do it too. Congrats on your time and I'm with you on the coffee or hot chocolate... LOL. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay on your race! I've been jogging four days a week for a little over a year now, but I still haven't signed-up for a race. I really need to do that ;) I found you via Bloggers Helping Bloggers on LinkedIn, so I hope you'll stop by and check-out my book-based blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You deff. should, they are so much fun! Of course I'll check your blog out, what's the link?

      Delete
  5. Hi Lynette,

    This is a good exercise. Congrats by being able to do this- 1.2 miles? I could never do that. But the calories that you have burned through the activity would be gone, by the time you arrived at the villages, because of the goodies. :D :D :D

    Kudos to you again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, good for you! I consider myself a casual runner, only doing about 4 miles at most on my longer runs, but I've always wanted to do a 10k or half marathon. Cool air always makes for an enjoyable run, but at one point when the sun was beating down must have been really tough and discouraging. Kudos to you for never stopping to walk! Congrats.

    ReplyDelete