Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Indoor Workouts So You Don't Freeze Outside



Yup!
As a naturally cold person, outdoor workouts usually end in December for me until March. Of course this would be in the middle of holiday season where drinks are flowing and baking is out of control. In order to stay fit during this off time I have to be creative. I usually use this time to test out new indoor home or studio workouts.   

Home Indoor Workouts:

  • If you have a treadmill, take advantage of it. Do intervals, hills, or go for distance. I know many people call this the dreadmill which I totally understand, but when its 30 below and blizzarding you need to make it your friend. Ours has built in programs that change speed/incline automatically.
  • Yoga DVDs or online classes are essential. Sometimes I don’t feel like going for a run or to the yoga studio so I do something at home. Jillian Michael’s Yoga Meltdown is great and adds some cardio. I also love Hilaria Thomas Baldwin’s series on Hulu, Yoga With a View. Those episodes are about 22 minutes long and each focuses on different parts of the body.
Jillian Michaels: Yoga Meltdown
Fitness Studios:
  • Spinning classes are a fantastic workout regardless of the season. You burn at least 500 calories per session and feel great afterwards. My favorite spin studio is Flywheel. Between the torque board and amazing instructors I can’t get enough. Each class is unique and instructors motivate you throughout the whole class.
  • Yoga at SLTNYC has got to be one of my favorite classes. While I enjoy a regular relaxing vinyasa class every once in a while, SLT has what I need the rest of the time. My favorite instructor Erin Jacques blasts music throughout the studio while leading the class and helping you with adjustments. The class flows pretty quickly and you will sweat! However at the end you will feel insanely relaxed. Perfect for those who don’t like routine and need something a little extra.
  • I have never been to Uplift Studios, but my new friend Jen says it’s amazing. Expect to be sore after classes (that’s what she advised to me). They also feature a class called workout and wine. I hope to check this studio out soon, so feel free to join me!
What are your favorite fitness studios? How do you stay fit during the winter? Let me know in the comments below! Maybe I will get a chance to review your favorite studio!

Xo,
Lynette


4 comments:

  1. I can never seem to make myself do workout dvds, but I love a good class. I work hardest when I feel accountable, so classes are my favorite way to do strength work and cross-training.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am totally not a fan of the dreadmill... or any kind of indoor workout. I bundle up a lot and continue to run outside as much as I can. If I could find a pool, I might try to swim for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love getting to classes in the winter. Keeps me motivated!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all of your comments! Julie I'm not a huge fan of it either but it gets the job done!

    ReplyDelete