Saturday, December 1, 2012

Eggplant Parmesan Stackers

In an attempt to get back to healthy eating after weeks of feasting on anything I could get my hands on, I decided to try out a recipe for eggplant parm stackers. While they were not terrible, I'm not sure I would make them again. Although, I did skip the part where you salt the eggplant so that may have been a huge factor as to why I wasn't in love. The link from the recipe I pinned on Pinterest wasn't working so I searched Google and chose to use one from A Bitchin' Kitchen. Take a look and let me know if you have ever made this and if you enjoyed it!

Ingredients:
2 small eggplants, cut into 1/2 inch slices
Salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large yellow onion, chopped
1 large pinch crushed red pepper flakes
1 clove garlic, minced
2 14.5 ounce cans fire roasted diced tomatoes with garlic
3 tablespoons flour
2 egg whites, lightly beaten
1 cup panko bread crumbs
Sliced mozzarella cheese
Fresh basil

Liberally salt eggplant slices on both sides with kosher salt, and place in a colander to drain for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, remove slices from colander, blot with paper towels to remove salt and residual moisture, and set aside. (This is the step I skipped, I advise against skipping it!)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place a wire cooling rack on a baking sheet, and set aside.

In a large skillet over medium high heat, heat olive oil. When the oil is shimmering, add the onion and saute for 5 minutes, until soft and translucent. Lower heat to medium, and add garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook for 2 minutes, and add in tomatoes (juices included.) Cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mixture has thickened and liquid has evaporated. Set aside until you're ready to prepare the stacks.


 










While the tomatoes are cooking, prepare your eggplant slices. Dredge the slices first in flour, then in egg whites, and lastly in panko, pressing to help the crumbs adhere. Place the breaded slices onto the wire rack, and repeat until you've used all the eggplant. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes each side, 20 minutes total.













Build the eggplant stacks on the wire rack: spoon desired amount of tomato sauce over an eggplant round, top with 2-3 leaves of basil, and then 1 slice of mozzarella cheese. Place another eggplant slice on top. Repeat with remaining eggplant rounds, and put back in the oven for 5 minutes, or until cheese has melted. Serve immediately.







 










Yum! Like I said it wasn't the best, but not the worst either. I think if I didn't skip the first step it would have come out a bit different. 

Enjoy!

Xo,
Lynette

No comments:

Post a Comment