Wednesday, December 12, 2012

A Different Kind of Pizza

I'm Italian, so loving pizza is kind of in my genes. However while it is known as being one of the healthiest fast foods, pizza does not skimp on carbs and is not always healthy-lifestyle friendly. When I was browsing (read: procrastinating) Pinterest the other day I came across a recipe for "chicken pizza." All it consisted of was your favorite pizza toppings on a piece of chicken! And I will tell you, it was pretty tasty. In fact, I've already made it twice in a week and a half. You can make the toppings as healthy or unhealthy as you please (thank god the chicken replaces the bread), load with veggies or meat! 

(recipe courtesy of genaw.com)



Ingredients Needed:

1 boneless chicken breast (pound flat if too thick, the first time I didn't, second time I did)
Salt, pepper, garlic powder and Italian seasoning
1 tablespoon pizza sauce 
4 slices pepperoni (I did not have pepperoni either times, second time I used breakfast sausage, resourceful!)
1 teaspoon butter or oil 
2 fresh mushrooms, sliced (I used pre-packaged)
2 thin green pepper rings 
1 ounce mozzarella cheese, shredded (I chopped some up from a block and mixed it in too)

First, after pre-heating the oven to 350 degrees, season the chicken with salt, pepper, garlic powder and Italian seasoning. Grill.


While the chicken is cooking, sauté the mushrooms and pepper rings in butter or oil until slightly tender, but not mushy. When they're done, set aside.


Next, spread the sauce over the chicken. I used about 2 spoonfuls. It's really your preference as to how much sauce you like. 


Then add toppings such as the green peppers and mushrooms. If you used sausage, pepperoni, or other veggies and meats add those too. 


Last but not least, add your mozzarella cheese. Use your discretion as to how much you put on. 


Sprinkle additional Italian season on then bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes. I like to wait until the cheese is nice and gooey. 


And now you've got a healthy little makeshift pizza. Each time I made this the kitchen really did smell like I was cooking up a homemade pie!

Have you ever made pizza chicken? What were your thoughts? Any other foods you swap ingredients to make then healthier?

Xo,
Lynette





2 comments:

  1. hmm very interesting take on a pizza alternative! I've also always wanted to try those cauliflower crust alternatives as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of that, do you have a recipe? This was pretty yummy...although I had 2 and I'm pretty sure you're only supposed to have 1 :x

      Delete