Monday, October 14, 2013

Runner Friends


Being a runner has given me new perspectives on many things. I learned what my mind and body is really capable of, I learned new eating tactics and learned how to not be so hard on myself (just to name a few things). Additionally, I've made supportive friends in the running community and they don't judge you. Whether it was my first half marathon last April or my most recent, where I got a 13 minute PR, the support was the same. No one looked at me in DC and commented how I ran over 10 minute miles for most of the race, or ran-walked the last 3 miles because I thought my IT was going to snap. Jen even bought me a cookie!

Running also made me realize how judgmental others are. Isolated incidents make it easy for us to make snarky comments at each other when we don't agree with what someone said, did or texted. Whether it's a drunk text, being led on, running a bad race, laughing too loud or wanting to have a conversation, it's a two way street. I'm not perfect and I have YET to meet someone who is. 

I'm not the slut next door, I've considered taking a DNF at a race because I got bored, I believe in second chances and I think I'm funny. In the past few years as a runner I became more comfortable with who I am and stopped judging myself. I might not always know what I want or get my point across clearly, but I try and that's more than I can say for some. Those with more insecurities or those who talk a big game seem to be the ones who judge the most. 

Instead of asking questions or getting to know someone, we jump to conclusions based on small mistakes. 

From training support to the actual race, none of my runner friends questioned my ethics (sure, 2 training runs a week is ideal), food choices (chicken nuggets are my jam) or how I was going to train after several bad runs. They supported me and my sometimes crazy choices, and put me in my place when I needed to be out there.

I've just realized how long this post is, so I will leave this at that. Also, 2 race recaps and product reviews coming soon!!

Xo,
Lynette

2 comments:

  1. I feel like running has had such a huge impact on my life. It's truly incredible what it's done for me, not just physically but mentally and emotionally. It's crazy how much of a change running creates in our lives!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I am so grateful I decided to get on the road!

      Delete