Monday, October 28, 2013

Shattered

What a weird title for a post right? Not so much when the girl writing it is a bit weird. Anyway, last week I mentioned I would do a fall goal recap so here it is. What a perfect way to start off the week too. Back in June I posted what my big fall races were and what I wanted to accomplish at each. 

*Side note: I did NOT do the Fitness 4 miler

Not only did I meet my goals, I most definitely shattered my half marathon time! If you remember, when I went to DC I hit a beautiful wall at mile 9 between my IT Band and the heat. Luckily I was better prepared for this one


Last year I ran 2 10K's within a few weeks of each other. It was the longest distance I had ever run at the time and I just wanted to finish! I even ran Rock n Roll without music because I thought there would be more bands on the course. Was not the case obviously. 


Here is what I wrote in June for a 10K goal:

Goal: Under 1:00:00
Time Goal: 57:30:00
Reach Goal: 56:00:00


56 minutes? Clearly delusional and had high hope for myself. According to the FEED computers at the end of the race I finished in 57:19. Under my regular goal and time goal! I'm really proud of that time but not the way I got it. My plan was to negative split, run the first 5K at 10K pace then pick it up for the last 5K. But a PR is a PR right? 


My big race was much earlier than everyone else. In fact, the NYC marathon is next weekend so some haven't even gotten to theirs yet! The goals I wrote for this race were a bit more attainable.

Goals: Under 2:20:00
Time Goal: 2:17:00
Reach Goal: 2:15:00


When I made these I didn't know I would be injured. I had such a great training cycle this time and felt SO prepared, until I got hurt. But I ran my little heart out and completely shattered all of the doubt I had. Before I went to the start line I kept reminding my dad, who kept asking a predicted finish time, that I had taken my time goal away because of my foot. To my surprise, I ran sub-10s allowing me to surpass my reach goal. 


Who knows what next year will bring. After a semi-OK run yesterday on my foot, I can confirm I'm putting my name in for the NYC Half lottery again. Fingers crossed I get in this time! 

What I learned from these races was how strong you have to be mentally. Repeating mantras in your head helps, which is what I did for the last 4 miles of the half. I know this sounds really cliche, but if you think you can do it, then you probably can.

How did your fall races go? Did you set any goals? 

Xo,
Lynette

No comments:

Post a Comment