Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Chick Pea Cookies

One night a few weekends ago I got a serious craving for cookies but unfortunately we had no eggs or milk.So what's a girl to do? Obviously search for a recipe that requires neither. One recurring recipe was one that used chick peas.It was really called "Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bites" in case you were wondering. Although I probably won't make them again, they did their job at the time. If you've never used chick peas to make cookies I recommend you try it at least once. 

Here's what you'll need for 14 cookies/bites (I cut the ingredients in half because I didn't need 14 cookies):

Receipt courtesy of the Houston Chronicle

[I ended up not using the flax seeds]
1¼ cups chickpeas rinsed and drained
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
½ cup plus 2 tablespoons natural peanut butter (I used regular Skippy)
¼ cup honey
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ cup chocolate chips (I also added some peanut butter chips)
Before you start, pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees. 
First, put the rinsed and drained chickpeas ar food processor and pulse until well ground. I don't have a food processor so I used a Magic Bullet.  

Then add the remaining ingredients minus the chocolate chips and blend until smooth. Make sure you scrape down the sides of the food processor a few times to make sure you get all of the chickpeas mixed, Then, stir in the chocolate chips.

Next is pretty basic. Roll the cookie dough into 1½-inch balls with wet hands and place on cookie sheet. I also used a fork as I would with regular cookies to push them down. 


Lastly, bake for 10 minutes (do not go over) then cool and serve.


Even though they weren't amazing, it was cool to use just those ingredients and have cookies be the product.

Have you ever used chickpeas to make cookies? What did you think?

Xo,
Lynette

No comments:

Post a Comment