Friday, April 7, 2017

PR Intern Diaries: Yiman


In an effort to combine all aspects of my life and create more lifestyle content vs just running, I'm incorporating something that is my whole life- my business. Lynette Nicole PR was born mid-August 2016 and am so proud to say we are growing daily. We brought on our first intern who will be talking PR and wellness every Friday through the first week of May! 


So, without further ado, meet Yiman.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am Yiman, a second year graduate student at NYU majoring in Media Culture and Communication. Being very interested in PR industry as well as media strategies, I interviewed Lynette and started my internship with her. Being a PR intern with Lynette is probably one the best things that has happened to me during my last semester of school. I’m getting a first hand look at how PR works in brand building and business development and great understanding of consumer lifestyle businesses.

If I can only name one thing I learned about PR this week, I would say it is the importance of making a to-do-list. Each time I get to the office, Lynette tells me to go through all the emails I received and make a to-do-list on my own. Then I email it to her, get feedback and start my work. Instead of throwing a list to me, Lynette is intentionally training me on independent thinking. Gradually, I figure out a sequence of tasks that follows an easy to hard track, which is really reasonable to start in the morning when you have scores of work on hand. At the end of the day, I update this list and she understands what things I have done and what still needs to be completed. By updating, it shows Lynette the challenges I met and things I am not clear about. For clients, she sends out a comprehensive memo every two weeks to let them know how their campaign is going, in addition to speaking with them during the week.

Lynette is pretty serious about work-life balance. Every Wednesday, we do something healthy as a team; salads for lunch, a smoothie break, or a yoga/Pilates class. Watching Lynette pursue a balance between work and life by keeping a regular schedule and eating healthy has subtly influenced my mindset to make minor changes to stay healthy. I was not used to eating salad as a meal, however after several attempts, I am getting used to it.

Since my last internship in Hill+Knowlton Strategies was corporate PR, I don’t have much experience in events. Thus I hope to assist in more activities and gain experience and insights on event preparation. I am getting my first opportunity to help during our clients Leukemia and Lymphoma Society Fundraiser on April 29. I am looking forward to it!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have a fabulous weekend everyone!

Xo,
Lynette​

No comments:

Post a Comment