Sunday, February 3, 2013

Spinach Lasagna Roll Ups

Happy Super Bowl Sunday! I've finally gotten my computer up and running and have some downtime to get some posts done. As promised, here is the yummy recipe I've been tweeting about all week. As you know from previous posts, I'm Italian and love pasta. Instead of just making my normal chicken and veggies I decided to spice it up. Cue spinach lasagna roll ups. These are totally delicious and I highly recommend them.

Recipe courtesy of SkinnyTaste.


Ingredients: 
  • 9 lasagna noodles, cooked (I used whole wheat)
  • 10 oz frozen chopped spinach, thawed and completely drained (I just used baby spinach)
  • 15 oz fat free ricotta cheese (I like Polly-o)
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 egg
  • salt and fresh pepper
  • 32 oz tomato sauce
  • 9 tbsp (about 3 oz) part skim mozzarella cheese, shredded (I shredded my own)
I also added some mushrooms to mine.

Before you preheat the oven to 350 degrees, start cooking the lasagna noodles.

While those are cooking you can start preparing what goes inside of them. Mix the spinach, ricotta, mushrooms, Parmesan, egg, salt and pepper in a decent sized bowl so there's no spilling all over the place.


Drain and dry the noodles and make sure the oven is now preheated to 350 degrees. Place them on a sheet of parchment or wax paper.


Take a little bit more than a spoonful of the mixture and spread evenly along each noodle. Cover the bottom of a medium sized baking dish (big enough to fit 9 roll ups) with sauce. 


Roll the noodles up and place them seam down in the baking dish. 


Pour additional sauce on top of the noodles and top with the shredded mozzarella cheese.


Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Serve when cheese is melted. 


I paired this with a piece of chicken and a spinach salad. I think this would be great for dinner parties and buffets. 


Ever made lasagna roll ups? What did you think? Any other variations you've tried?

Xo,
Lynette






4 comments:

  1. lasagna rollups are one of my new favorite things! My friend made them for me once with Kale too, that was delish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds yummy too. Maybe that's the next variation I'll try :)

      Delete
  2. this looks delicious. I haven't made roll ups but i've made regular lasagna. I'll have to try this sometime. It looks like it'll take less time!

    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never made regular lasagna. I really liked these. They were simple and good. And a bit healthier!

      Delete