Monday, May 1, 2017

PR Intern Diaries: Yiman's Top Resources



Happy May everyone! Not only is it a new month, it's also my birthday month! May 11 to be more specific (in case you wanted to wish me a happy birthday, or send rainbow cookies, whichever). To kick off the month, Yiman is talking PR resources.

------
I have been doing this internship with Lynette for over one month. She has told me many times that a PR girl needs to be very resourceful, which means you are supposed to take advantage of all the resources you can think of. So I would like to talk about the resources I am finding most useful for my internship.

One thing I find very useful is Cision, a web-based software to build media lists. I can pull out a media list by searching media type, location, outlet topics and even the specific media outlet. On the other hand, it is great tool to use when you spot an appropriate editor to pitch but can’t find his/her contact information.

Cision saves me a lot of time. However, Cision isn’t everything. Most of the time I still need to use Google to find key terms, editors names and certain topics. So Google is another common tool I would turn to for help.

Last but not least, social media is also a good approach. For example, when looking for bloggers for certain topics, I would click on their social media accounts to find contact emails, how many followers they have and see how influential they would be.

Resources are very important for PR girls. Yet for me, I believe ability of collecting information is more crucial. Resources will not accompany with you all the time but capability will.
------

Stay tuned for a Brooklyn training update, some new running toys and a few recaps! 

Xo,
Lynette

No comments:

Post a Comment