Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Celebrating Too Early

*Proceed with caution. Very opinionated post that you may not share the same feelings on. Please remember this is my personal blog. Nourish You will be live early 2016 for all things health and wellness and Nutrition By Lynette. 


If you're a runner, you probably already know what happened at the end of the women's 10K at the world championships. When I watched that it got me thinking as to how many times I or someone else "celebrated" too early. I have also 100% been in Molly Huddle's position so I feel greatly for her right now. 

My sister, a former NCAA runner, and I were talking about this. We have been playing team sports since before we could walk. What would we do if our teammate did that to us? Would we have done the same thing Emily did? 

In life, I think we all face moments like this, in sports, at work, dating, etc. I once ran a 5K and slowed down and practically stopped before the finish line to look at the clock overhead. I was a favorite to win dance twirl in one of my last years twirling and got "excited" (read: a little cocky) and came in second to last. 

I've had a lot of disappointments in my life and I think that's one thing that keeps me from getting excited too quickly. Working in PR, having a major editor respond is a big deal and my superiors always get excited when I say so and so is interested. And I stand there emotionless. Why? Because I didn't secure the placement yet. The piece hasn't ran. I didn't run through the line yet. 

So while you may be celebrating Emily or contemplating whether she deserved the medal or not, try and refrain from calling Molly names or her actions "stupid." We have all been there. Whether you can pinpoint the moments off the top of your head or not. As an athlete, publicist, nutritionist and blogger, I read the news pretty often and the headlines surrounding this have been awful. 

Xo,
Lynette

No comments:

Post a Comment