Monday, April 27, 2015

Getting Back on a Bike


I had an extremely healthy and active weekend and the biggest thing that stands out is that I rode a bike again for the first time in 3 years and 10 months. For many of you reading this, it's a "so what?" moment. For me, it was taking back some of the fearlessness I lost after I got hit by a car while riding a bike on a road known for deadly accidents on Long Island. 


After a health scare, being ghosted (guys, you seriously need to start growing a pair) and work-related things, April wasn't shaping up to be a pretty month. 4 years ago, I loved riding my bike and for some reason this just seemed like the perfect time to get back on the saddle. I already had a day trip out to Montauk planned for some alone time and since it's the off-season and there are not many cars I thought why the hell not?


After I got off the Jitney I stopped by my favorite breakfast spot, Bliss Kitchen, for an egg sammy and coffee before heading over to the Montauk Bike Shop to rent a bike. The guy took one look at how tall I was and pretty much practically suggested I get a child sized bike. After that, I was on my way to the lighthouse!


Not so fast actually. I did get nervous crossing in front of cars so I made a detour to the beach so I could make a right back on Montauk Highway without traffic. And for the first 3 miles I was very jumpy when I heard the cars behind me. But then I relaxed and enjoyed the ride. I went up to the lighthouse and hung out for a bit.

Then I biked down to the Coast Guard station and sat on the dock to stretch my legs because OWW!  I realized I needed some water so I headed over to Liars Saloon and got a beer and water. They play country music there and I didn't want to leave. But I did because I just wanted to ride that bike around all day. I stopped at Gosman's for a snack of grilled salmon, fries and a salad. It was the first day the clam bar was open so that was a nice treat. 


Next I headed down to the beach to read a magazine before returning the bike, heading to Salivars for dinner and getting back on the Jitney. It was a solid day and I couldn't have been more proud of myself for finally getting back on the bike after a really scary experience. 



Yesterday, to continue my healthy and active weekend, I went up to Bear Mountain with Megan. We took the train up to Peekskill then a cab to the mountain. The weather was perfect! We brought sandwiches, snacks and drinks for ride. The entire hike was about 5.7 miles and we did an extra mile loop around the lake. When we were done we headed back to the city for some much needed (and deserved!) rest. 



For the next 3 weeks, it's training for Brooklyn (my knee hurt today coming down the mountain so this will be a challenge), birthday celebrations and getting ready to go to Florida.

What healthy choices did you make this weekend?

Xo,
Lynette

No comments:

Post a Comment