Monday, March 2, 2015

Washington Heights Salsa, Blues, and Shamrocks 5K Recap

And so it begins. Yesterday I incorporated my first race of the year and of my 9+1 into my long run for the weekend. It was the Washington Heights Salsa, Blues and Shamrocks 5K! I haven't run this race before so I wasn't sure what to expect. I didn't take any pictures so I'll keep the post short. 

I ran 6.60 miles from Queens to the 86th St. 1 train. It was supposed to be 7 miles but I was running late and didn't want to get to the race too late. Which I, and apparently a bunch of other people, ended up being. I had a strong run into the city today. Definitely not the best, but I felt the best I've felt in weeks. I think a combination of the warmer weather and no wind played a factor. 

I also learned something about myself today. I am very mean if I am late to a race and don't start in my corral. I had to weave (read- move and pissed a lot of people off) in and out to get at a comfortable pace. There were a lot of walkers right off the bat. 

The course is hilly but not overwhelming. What I really liked is that I had never run in Washington Heights so the scenery was all new to me. There was a point where you got a beautiful view of the ice on the cliffs. I ended up running into Jane just after mile 2 and dragged her along with me (she's actually faster than I am). We finished in a decent time. Definitely not my best but that's what you get after running 6.60 miles and being late. 

[Brunch! That's me in the pink trying to get out of the picture. Photo courtesy of Jane.]
We grabbed out bagels then decided we were going to go to brunch which was delicious. 

Despite a VERY crowded course, I do recommend this race. The weather was nice, there was a lot of cheering and spectators, there were a few bands along the course and can't beat that view of the cliffs. 

Xo,
Lynette

No comments:

Post a Comment