Monday, June 30, 2014

New Healthy Noms in Union Square


Usually when I receive restaurant pitches they are pretty off topic (as a PR girl I am also guilty of this) but when I got one perfectly on topic I had to jump at the opportunity to test it out. Cevich is a new healthy grab-and-go spot in Union Square. 21 E. 15th Street to be exact.  They opened on June 2 and the dishes are inspired by traditional Peruvian recipes along with a little bit of the owners own preferences. 

Co-owners Reina Laws and Lindsay Goldstein developed the idea while living in Miami Beach. Both have a love for seafood and savory sauces and knew this project would be the perfect fit. 



Before I got a chance to try a few of the delicious menu items, I got a chance to sit down with Lindsay. The former project manager thought a modern Ceviche spot would be perfect for NYC (spoiler: she was right. The place has been packed during lunchtime since opening) and knew healthy "fast-food" is hard to come by. With a healthy state of mind, Reina and Lindsay make sure all ingredients are fresh and in their most natural form (they are prepped in-house) and the dishes are filling, satisfying, gluten-free and pure protein. 

In her spare time, Lindsay loves to run, swim in the ocean, play sports and eat (a lot!). 

Cevich has something for everyone and each dish is customization. Here are a few of the dishes I got to sample: 


The Wild Tiger Ceviche is the traditional Peruvian citrus "Leche de Tigre" with white corn, red onion, and cilantro. They included white fish in this one for me. 

[Wild Tiger Ceviche]
Lime N Da Coconut Ceviche was my favorite! It had shrimp, Caribbean coconut ginger sauce, mango, carrots, red onion and cilantro. The coconut flavor wasn't over powering at all and I love shrimp so this was perfect!

[Lime N Da Coconut Ceviche]
The Parma-Viche Ceviche had the yummiest crunchy onions on top. They called this the Caesar salad of Ceviches. It had a creamy Parmesan sauce, radish, red onion and salmon. 

[Parma-Viche Ceviche]
The last Ceviche I tasted was the girls favorite- The Santorini. It was exactly like a Greek salad! They made this one with white fish and always in it is Kalamata Olive sauce, red onion, cucumber, cherry tomatoes and feta cheese. This is my second favorite for sure!

[Santorini Ceviche]
The last thing I tasted was the Miso Hungry Taco. It was shrimp tossed in a soy ginger sauce, coconut ride, carrot, cabbage, red pepper and Thai Basil. I really liked this because I liked shrimp but there was a bit too much cabbage for my personal preference and it had a bold flavor. I also liked the wrap was a blue corn tortilla. 

[Miso Hungry Taco]
I also got to have a small dish of the coconut rice and it is the BEST. I would go back solely to get a side of it. 

If you haven't been to Cevich in Union Square in NYC I highly suggest you make the trip. I promise you won't be disappointed!

Xo,
Lynette 

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm looks delicious! Doesn't something about seafood just scream summer? I've definitely been enjoying the lean proteins that seafood can bring to my diet the past few weeks, and especially because I work in a seafood restaurant at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes. Summer = all the seafood! Everything I tried was so delicious. If I lived/worked closer I would probably go all the time. The coconut rice was to die for!

      Delete